Re: [TenTec] Orion display..time for replacement

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion display..time for replacement
From: "denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:59:46 -0700
Thanks to all that replied...here is a follow up...hope it makes another hams life a bit easier!

I received a new lcd display, battery and regulator board..since I had to replace one of the bulging filter caps on the original regulator board thought would replace it with a new one. Since my Orion is fairly old, replacing the battery was a no brainer to me.

Removing the old lcd was pretty easy...used a wooden pencil to gently pry the boards apart...man, sure are a lot of pins between those two boards!!

Replacing the new lcd and alinging the pins was a major PITA!! Next time I wll use some tall bolts, without heads, threaded into the holes in the cpu motherboard and use them for a guide for alinging the pins on the new lcd board-

The new lcd came with a cable that is installed in lieu of the old lcd's multipin plug....as per the articles in the below wiki website, one must pay close attention to cable installation...and I would suggest re-reading the instructions several times, as in my case the blue strip on the connector ribbon dictated that the ribbon cable needed to be installed upside down from what one would think would be normal connection. I also clipped about 1/8 inch off of the pins on the cpu board where the new ribbon cable installs, as per instructions I got with the new lcd from TT.

On the reguator board, there is a dip with cable that goes normally to the lcd. It is a 20.5 vdc line...do NOT connect this cable! There is only one 2 pin socket on top of the regulator board, so it is kinda hard to miss.

I also installed a 10 ohm resistor in the red wire going to the backlight to better the contrast on the new lcd.

Since I replaced the lithium battery, things were kinda goofy for a while...a couple of master resets and reboots finally got things back to snuff.

Now to find what dohickey wants to make funny noises on bootup when the rig is cold...sounds like a "bweep, bweep, bweep noise when antenna is attached and feq is on a psk signal or a carrier.None of the sidebands sound right. After a brief warmup and reboot, the rig acts normally.

Kinda makes me miss my long gone HW101, despite it's appetite for audio tubes!