Re: [TenTec] Paragon output problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon output problem
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:12:27 -0500
vic,

I don't have the paragon manual in front of me, so, doing this from memory.

on 40 and 30 meters, the same relays control the L/C components so, if it is a
relay problem, you should see it on 30 meters as well.

do what Wade suggested by stuffing the RF into a dummy load and seeing what
happens

on the low pass filter board there is a large MTA cable that carries the band
information. When you switch bands, one line after another will go to +12 or so.

these band control lines run all over the place. They select the bandpass
filters for the front end, the low pass filters for the output and so on..

measure each one, and as you change bands, one should go high, then change
bands, that one should go low and the next one high as so on. YOu can see what
one does what on the schematic.

basically, you want the 40/30 meter line high and no others.  and when you
change bands, the 40/30 meter line should go and stay at zero volts.

If all seems like it should be, there's not much else you can do unless you pop
the low pass filter board out from it's little nook. There's usually enough
slack in the wire to allow you to reconnect the filter board after you have it
removed from the chassis. use some cardboard to prevent shorting out the board
to the chassis.

using your vom, while on 40 meters observe if there is 12 volts going to the
two relays that control that band. if your hearing is good, you can sometimes
hear them click in. Trouble is, you can't tell by listening what one clicked
and what one didn't click.

to find which one is bad, set you vom to continuity. from either input or
output side of the filter you should see less than a few ohms. If you don't see
that, then one (or both) of the relays hasn't closed. work your way from one
side to other as you look for the open relay contacts.

I've fixed quite a few of these before and the damn thing is many times, the
relay will actually close and you can see continuity across its contacts, but
it won't work in the radio.

by the way the relay's  coils are wired in series.

Ten Tec has these in stock. They're not cheap, so before you order in parts,
make sure you found the problem.

mike, wb8vge