Re: [TenTec] Hamfests in general

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hamfests in general
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:10:18 +0100
We felt our UK business was not what it should be, so for the past two
years, I shipped a pallet of hardware to England for the "National Hamfest"
in Lincoln. It's the country's largest Hamfest.  I had a modest booth and
did a bit of sales.

Last time, I met a bunch of hams from Northern Ireland who happened to be
staying in the same hotel as I was.  Big Mistake!
In trying to keep pace with them both evenings in the hotel's pub, I spent
more money on beer than we made in profit from the booth sales.  Of course
the beers were out of my pocket, not the company's, but I just want to put
things in perspective.

Expenses were a train ticket to the airport in Frankfurt, a flight to
Birmingham, and a rental car for 4 days.  Plus hotel, plus food, then the
booth rental, cost of shipping the hardware 2-ways... and the pallet of
hardware I shipped home looked bigger than what we shipped over - because I
can't pack as well as the boys in the factory.

There was indeed a peak in UK sales for about 2 weeks after the event.
But total "REVENUE" (not profit) from all UK sales in that time period was
less than my total expenses for the trip.

I hope I get to go to the National Hamfest again this year (and I hope the
Irish boys don't), but if I owned our business, which I don't, I would not
spend my money on the event.  Period.

For me, the UK event equates to the Orlando event.
I'm not speculating.  I've been to both.
I had a booth at the Orlando event two years ago.

When you're trying to run a business and stay profitable, you have to make
tough decisions.
If my boss asks me my opinion, I'll tell him we should not go to the UK.
(I hope he doesn't ask - hi.)

I had a lot of fun.  Met Steve (G3TXQ) the first year, saw him again the
second year, met some of the guys we've been sponsoring on many
DX-peditions, and learned not to drink with the Irish.  Loads of fun.
That's what hamfests are for.

73
Rick, DJ0IP