[TenTec] Fw: Fw: 68 Group Sunday's

To: <tentec@mailman.qth.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>, <TenTec_539@yahoogroups.com>, <TenTec_Eagle@yahoogroups.com>, <TenTec@yahoogroups.com>, <Ten-Tec-Omni-VII@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: Fw: 68 Group Sunday's
From: "John Occhipinti" <k3ur@att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:09:02 -0500
I am forwarding an email that was sent to both me and the TEN-TEC Contest Group. Before drawing any conclusions please read my original post to all 5 of the TEN-TEC Yahoo Groups, which also includes the TEN-TEC Contest Group, that I sent on Sunday when we concluded our 40 meter and 20 meter nets.

Take note that this past Sunday the 40 meter band was wall-to-wall with special event stations and contestors, and I was fortunate to find an opening on 7.270 at 1:30 PM Eastern Time (1 and 1/2 hours before our scheduled net time). If I waited any longer I would have been unable to conduct our 40 meter net.

Before calling CQ, I listened on each side of the frequency and there was no activity 4 Khz on each side of 7.260. When I called CQ, several of our TEN-TEC net members responded and I proceeded to take checkins and we ended up with 80 people checking into the net, amid a lot of noise and spectral splatter.

The TEN-TEC Official Website advertises both the 20 meter and 40 meter nets as 7.260 + or -, and 14.325 + or -, which means that neither TEN-TEC Inc. or the TEN-TEC SSB nets owns these frequencies. I have moved our nets off of these frequencies many times when other people were on or near these frequencies and I never complained.

But, in all due respect for the 7.268 group coordinator who sent a friendly email and post, he insinuated that 7.268 belongs to his group (his exact words were, "the 68 Group meets each day on 7268 from 3-5 pm Eastern". I was not aware of his net and we were on that frequency 1 and 1/2 hours before his net starts.

Some people need a refresher course in the FCC Rules Part 97.101b which states, "Each station licensee and each control operator must cooperate in selecting transmitting channels and in making the most effective use of the amateur service frequencies. No frequency will be assigned for the exclusive use of any station". The FCC rules clearly state that all amateur frequencies are shared among amateurs and that cooperation is the key to effective use of the bands.

I also just received another personal email from someone who sent me a link that had 93 different advertised nets on the HF bands. I believe that I played very fair on Sunday by not starting our net on 7.260, when it and many other frequencies near it were having their special event activities.

The TEN-TEC SSB nets are operated each week as a service to all TEN-TEC operators and many others who choose to check in. We have shown much patience in the midst of controversy and I want to thank all of our TEN-TEC members for showing the same patience and understanding.

I was in contact with Jim Wharton NO4A, Vice President TEN-TEC, Inc. today and he told me that the first 10 Certificates are in the mail and the new 11 qualifiers this week will be getting their certificates shortly. Congratulations to the 21 operators!

John, K3UR

http://www.qrz.com/db/k3ur
John D. Occhipinti, K3UR
Net Control, TEN-TEC SSB Nets