Re: [TenTec] [TenTec_Eagle] Ten-Tec Omni-VII Review was added

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>, "Rick@DJ0IP.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [TenTec_Eagle] Ten-Tec Omni-VII Review was added
From: "R. Eric Sluder" <resluder@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:22:28 -0700 (PDT)
Oh... I like it, so don't get me wrong.  I meant the Omni VII in addition to
the Eagle in my shack.  For me... It's a tad small for my use as the primary HF
radio is all.  I realize it was designed for a certain market so I have no
reason to complain.  It's a personal preference thing is all. It's inherent
design requires the different levels of menus which bugged me a little at
first, but have started using software control and can make some adjustments
from the computer now.  Tuning knob is a tad small for my taste - little things
like that.

Since I got my Eagle I've had nothing but great audio reports on SSB, AM, and
its a breeze on digital modes with HRD.  Haven't set the keyer up yet because
I've been busy and need to get my code speed back up (it's not like riding a
bicycle).

Once I build my new computer I will buy a copy of N4PY's software and get a Pan
adapter and enjoy it more.  Maybe a second SDR receiver and add even more
enjoyment.

Over time if I do get a larger Ten-Tec then I'll probably take the Eagle mobile
where its design goal (sweet spot) IMO makes it really shine.  By then the
current mobile rig IC-706MKIIg will retire to the shack for multimode VHF work.

I am grateful Ten-Tec built the Eagle because it allows those of us who have to
invest in our hobby over time, or cannot (or don't want to) cough up the money
required for an Orion or the Omni VII can still procure a top shelf SDR radio.
(I have two teenage daughters to help get through college so I put a governor
on my hobby funds)

In summary - no real complaints.

Eric
W9WLW