Re: [TenTec] A Fun Day with Ham Radio, and a Question about Portable Ope

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A Fun Day with Ham Radio, and a Question about Portable Operating
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 11:31:28 +0200
Nice story Jack.
Something fishy about the Navy guy.
If he were really a Navy guy, he would have been drinking beer, not coffee! (hi)

The biggest problem with any kind of portable operation is battery life.
The continuous current drain of the receiver plays a much bigger role in
determining battery life than the current drain during TX.

In the interest of long battery life, nothing beats an old analog radio.
I used the TEN-TEC Argonaut 509 for many years.  The Argonaut 515 would be
slightly better.
When you turn the dial lamp off, the old Argonauts draw only 150mA of current
on RX.

If you want more power, a small 15 or 20w amp will suffice for CW.
The biggest downside is, the old rigs do not have a second VFO so if you work
split, you are limited to the range of the RIT.
They don't cover the WARC bands either.

The newer radios have the following current drain on RX:
   <> Eagle:       1.25 A
   <> Argonaut VI:  550mA

You'll be on the air a lot longer with the Argonaut VI than you will with the
Eagle.

73
Rick, DJ0IP