Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters
From: "Lee WA3FIY" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:50:50 -0400
When operating barefoot and with the tuner in line, you have a near perfect
match as
expected.  The O VII sees the tuner directly.  When you insert the Centurion in
line, the O VII
sees the input impedance of the amplifier (cathode circuit) and the amplifier
is now seeing
the tuner directly.  In other words, the amplifier is seeing a near perfect
match and the
transceiver is seeing the amplifier input impedance whatever that may be.    No
real surprise
since you have selected the 15 meter band on the amp which inserts a 15 meter
low pass
filter in line when you are operating.  It works but is not optimum as you see.
  I doubt there is
any real issue at low power at 2.1 : 1  SWR.

I rarely use my antenna tuner here on any of my TT rigs unless the SWR exceeds
2.5 : 1 and
I am running at or near full power.   YMMV    :-)

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY