Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:17:58 -0400
Yes... you guys are both on track, and reinforce my observation that SWR is never the whole story.

I discovered very few articles attempting to explain the big picture about antenna measurements. The ARRL literature (e.g., QST Magazine) usually glosses over it, making reference to greater complexity, but rarely (I think, anyway) stopping to fully explore the topic. The stuff in the ARRL Handbook is brief and over my head... Maybe I need a Dummies book on antenna measurement.

I don't suppose the magazine editors think it would be a popular topic. It is much easier, and perhaps more popular, to just publish a list of commercially available vertical antennas than publish a serious exegesis of antenna impedance, reactance, and all that jazz.

So, all your comments reinforce the importance of learning more about it.

Again, I am not worried about this odd SWR phenomenon... I just want to understand it better.

Thanks for the further input.

PS...

I belong to a Yahoo Group called Ham-Radio-Help-Group, but I have learned way more from this group. I belong to some transceiver-specific groups - but our gang here is far more knowledgeable and helpful about what goes on under the hood. I appreciate that the arguments can sometimes get hot and heavy, but they remain focused on the underlying science, and rarely turn personal.