Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:05:13 -0500
I've been using a TT-715 and Heil HC-4 to drive my OMNI-VII to 100 W PEP to break a few pileups. The OMNI-VII is set for TX BW = 2500, TX Roll Off = 300 Hz, TX EQ = 0 dB, Speech Proc = 50%. The 715 is set up initially to its manual suggested values. Using a FLEX-1500 as a panadapter (station monitor) and its audio output via Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) to Audacity (Free Audio Editor and Recorder), I record my transmissions both in audio and screen shots of the FLEX-1500 panadapter view of the signal to get a optimum setting / configuration.

By listening to the recorded audio from Audacity, I hear the over the air audio, not the microphone monitor mixed with the sound of my own voice and head resonance in my ears. In addition Audacity has a number of tools which can be used to analyze each recording of speech processing for best intelligibility. What I wind up with is a narrow bandwidth transmitted signal with higher average power. It lacks low frequency elements, but the HC-4, TT-715, and OMNI-VII are pretty much competitive to un-processed signals into smaller (600 W) amps. I'm not trying to have great rag chew audio but rather a transmitted audio to make a QSO in weak signal to large noise conditions. If I want good audio, I turn the processor off.

While I have a Titan-425, I prefer to chase SSB DX and contest with the OMNI-VII barefoot at 100W and the TT-715 on.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: John Rippey