[TenTec] Update: Hercules II 9420 power on

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Update: Hercules II 9420 power on
From: k6jek <k6jek@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 20:32:53 -0700
You can  turn the power supply on from the four-pin transceiver connector on
the back, all the power, not just the power for a transceiver as some have
suggested. A small load from pin 3 to pin 1 will do it. I used a 1.2K resistor.

However, powering up the supply isn't enough to turn the amp on. The switch on
the amp must be ON. Half of that switch turns on the power supply but the other
half engages the amp keying circuit. Even though it's got the juice from the
power supply, the amp won't do anything unless that switch is ON.

That's a conundrum isn't it? The amp must be ON already if we want to use this
remote on capability to turn it on.  This can be solved by opening the POWER ON
line from the amp to the power supply. Then the switch could be ON but only
half mean it. This would be easy for me to do since I had to build a short
extension for that 12 conductor cable. I could put a switch in the wire going
to pin 3. But I'm giving up this approach. It's just fighting me too much. I
may just build a 220V relay box for the power cord.

Some have asked what I'm trying to do. I sometimes use my OMNI VII remote over
the Internet. I turn it on an off via a phone controlled switch. Wouldn't it be
great to be able to turn the amp on too?