Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 Plus Distorted Audio

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 Plus Distorted Audio
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:37:16 -0500
There is a CW wave shape adjustment on the bottom side. That might be adjusted incorrectly. It really takes a scope to do this but it seems you have the knowledge and equipment to do so.

As to the RF distorted audio, sounds like RF into the audio. Works OK at low levels but distorted at 100 watts. I seem to recall that the Heil mod adds gain to the mike circuit. This make it more susceptible for RF in the audio issues.

This Aux audio input is really just another input to the mike audio circuit. Don't try to use both at the same time. Only use/connect one input at a time. Also, attenuate the level at the radio and not at the soundcard end so the level on the cable is as high as possible. Then attenuate at the radio. I've found this method to work better.

Be sure there is a hard ground between the radio and the power supply ground. Do not rely on the DC power cable and connectors for ground between the radio and power supply. Also check to see that the ground terminal at the radio, specifically inside is tight. The DC connector negative is connected to this terminal inside the radio.

Be sure the Speech Processor is OFF.

I might have more notes in my service manual, but for now, this is all I can think of.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike" <mike@n1mb.com>