Re: [TenTec] Orion II has ended production

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II has ended production
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:47:38 -0500 (CDT)
I agree!   Now lets look at this:

(a)  How many hams are willing to spend $4K to $7K for a radio?  I view
an item like the "Orion III" would like to be in this range.

(b)  How many hams are willing to spend less than $2K for a radio?

(c)  How many hams are willing to spend less than $1K for a radio?

Now for all of the above lets assume 160m - 6m, 100 watt radio.

I'll give you a clue (c) will be the big winner regardless of what's
packed into the radio.

73  "A cheap ham"
K4TAX

> Let's face it: the 566 hardware platform is 8 years old, and nearing the
> end of its new-product life cycle.  That said, I have to agree with Barry
>  --
> bringing out an Orion III with state-of-the-art hardware wouldn't be too
> difficult, if sufficient customer demand exists.  Does it?  I don't
> know...
>
> 73 Ray W2RS

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.