Re: [TenTec] Orion II has ended production

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II has ended production
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 07:00:24 -0500 (CDT)
Reading between the lines, I have the impression (and this is just a hunch
folks) that plans are already underway for the succssor to the Orion II. Be it
the Orion III or another name

I have the impression that the demise of the Orion II at this time was
unexpected... that is to say, the unavailability of certain key components came
as a surprise. But this happens, when your parts source stops production for
any of a hundred reasons, good, bad or indifferent.

As several have pointed out, the reality is that the Orion II is 8 years old,
the Orion before it goes back a few years before that. Nothing lasts forever,
guys. The rig had a great run.

Let us not lose sight of the fact that Ten-Tec produced a superior transceiver,
sale price roughly 1/3 of what the equivalent rig(s) from the Big Overseas 3
sold for. That was and is quite an accomplishment!

It also says something that the Orion II has held it's own with the 'younger'
(in terms of age of product line) K3, even if the K3 appears to be the rig du
jour among quite a few.

My only real question, at this time, is simply wondering how much time the Omni
VII product line has left to it. The Eagle, Argonaut VI, and Rebel all
representing a new direction for the production lines... the Jupiter, Argonaut
V & Orion II have left us, leaving the Omni VII as the 'last' of it's
generation of radios. So I suspect the end of it's run won't be too far along.

73, ron w3wn