Re: [TenTec] TT 238C will not tune

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 238C will not tune
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:31:38 -0500
Basically anything in line between the output of the radio and the input to the tuner can be suspect. And I mean anything. Coax jumpers, SWR/Power meters, LP filters, various switches, power amps just to name a few.

The new breed of connectors we get today look really good. Looks is the best description of their quality. Electrically they are fair to poor. Even for the best of them, I always practice snugging them with a pair of 4" Channel Lock pliers. Finger tight is not good enough.

I seem to recall that you tried another tuner stating that it worked. Were you using the exact same configuration, meaning jumpers and every thing else. If not then the comparison was not accurate.

As to the 238 there is a specific or preferred method for the usage.

(a) Set the capacitor to a value of 2.
(b) Set the inductor to  a full scale (fully clockwise) position
(c) Apply a small amount of power, then switch the BYPASS switch to both sides and observe the position giving the lower SWR value.
(d) Alternately adjust the Capacitor and Inductor for lowest reading.
(e) If the capacitor shows the lowest value when near 0, then turn S1 to the other side (f) If the capacitor shows the lowest value near 10, then turn S1 to the next higher value

Once you obtain the lowest SWR value make a note of the values for the frequency and proceed to the next frequency.

You could have certain conditions, based on antenna and feedline length, that can not be matched with the tuner. In this case add a few feet of feedline and proceed with the matching procedure.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "denton sprague" <denton@oregontrail.net>