Re: [TenTec] which balun?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which balun?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:35:40 +0200
James,

In your case, where you have the coax to the antenna buried underground, it
actually already has an effective choke on it.  So you will probably find no
difference when adding another choke.  However the choke will not hurt if it
is of proper design.

The problem when discussing the 43 ft. vertical is, it is an "all band
antenna" (they claim) but has totally difference impedance on the low bands
from what it has on the high bands.  That's always a challenge.  There isn't
going to be a single balun or unun that does both jobs best.

The 4:1 is OK for the high bands but a 1:1 would be better for the low
bands.  Even better is Phil Salas' (AD5X) solution for loading coils at the
base, then switching them in and out.

Why am I saying the 4:1 is OK here, when I just said in another post it is
better to always use 1:1?
Simple, before we were talking about openwire feedline, now we are talking
about coax feedline.

I think the biggest problem most people have including me before I started
reading the right material on this subject, is we want to buy one device
called "balun" and have it do all jobs, no matter what.   You can't drive
your 4 kids to the soccer match with a Corvette, but it's sure a nice
automobile!

73
Rick, DJ0IP