Re: [TenTec] CW-N versus CW-R

To: "Don Rasmussen" <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CW-N versus CW-R
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 12:21:32 -0500
The tone recognition problem is had by many. To avoid tuning above or below the desired tone, I use an AOR TDM-370 DSP audio filter, in stereo mode, with a CF of 700 Hz and a band width of 100 Hz (200 Hz and 300 Hz are also choices). When I tune a signal to the same frequency in both ears I'm centered (within 10-20 HZ) on the other operator regardless of offset frequency, or sideband. Otherwise the tone comes in one ear (low freq.) and out the other (high freq.) limited in frequency range by the BW.

On a slightly different topic, not being able to properly tune in a SSB (no carrier as reference) because the voice type and its frequency range of the other operator is unknown, leads many operators to tune too high or too low. I find the panadapter function in PowerSDR and my Flex-1500 operated as a sub-receiver of my OMNI-VII, lets me zero-beat both the station I'm working, SSB, CW, or Digital modes.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: Don Rasmussen