[TenTec] VERY Subjective test of the Jupiter

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] VERY Subjective test of the Jupiter
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 19:18:36 +0200
Funny what one finds when digging through old files looking for something
else.

In 2004 I tested my brand new Jupiter during the CQ WW DX CW contest and did
a write up of my opinion.

My results are nothing like the lab tests that Rob Sherwood makes, but they
are a lot like his comments that he makes after using the radios on the air.

You guys know me.  I don't hold my punches.  I call it as I see it, and I
also sent the results to Ten-Tec (including audio files).

That resulted in provision for a pre-selector being added to the Omni VII
design.

I really enjoyed the Jupiter.  It is one of the most enjoyable radios I have
ever operated, but it is not a great contest radio for the harsh European
conditions.

Here in Europe, if a radio's IP3/BDR3 performance is weak, you get nothing
but garbage in the receiver on 40m at night, until you add a lot of
attenuation - or use a preselector.

If the radio's IP2 performance is poor, at night you get 41m band broadcast
stations flooding the 20m band with carriers every 10 kHz.

Again a preselector works wonders for this problem.

I later tested the Omni VII (prior to its production).  I will upload the
short test later (gotta find it).  Perhaps I'll even upload the long test
with several audio files.  My pre-production unit had the pre-selector
option built-in when I got it.  I was able to test it with and without
pre-selector.

Here's the Jupiter:
http://www.dj0ip.de/transceivers/transceiver-evaluations/ten-tec-jupiter/

73