[TenTec] OMNI V Flouresent Display Problem and Fix

To: Tentec Posting <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI V Flouresent Display Problem and Fix
From: "Donald, K6RV" <K6RV@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:05:19 -0500
I have a Ten-Tec OMNI V that I resurrected and everything works except the far left digit on the display was always on - even when only 6 of the 7 digits on the display should be on, as on 1.8, 3.5, 7 Mhz. I assumed it was a problem on the Display Driver Board, which plugs in right behind the digital display.

I called Ten-Tec Service and talked to Gary Green, who is the OMNI V "Guru". He immediately said: cut 3/16" off of the top 3 pins on the left side connector of the Driver Display Board (as you look from the front and top of the radio), and that will fix it. I just pulled the left connector out a bit from the top and VOILA - left display digit went out ! When Band switched to the bands where it should be on, it is ! Problem Solved ! I will take the front panel off, pull out the board and clip the top 3 pins as Gary instructed. It appears that the pins are too long and go throughinto the circuitry of the Flourescent Display Board and short something.

Another example of the great service from Ten-Tec. And it cost me $0 to fix. I told Gary that we are lucky he is the resident Ten-Tec repair Genius and I hope he lives and works there forever ! - At least for my lifetime !

73, Donald K6RV