Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Antenna is up, but the coupler doesn't like 160 meters
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 21:58:09 -0500
Diddling a bit more, the feed point Z of the antenna is projected to be around 20 to 25 ohms. The feed line is about 3/8 wavelength or about 135 degrees. I see nothing wrong with these values that might point to an issue.

I will presume the feedline is brought away from the antenna at near 90 degrees and is not running parallel with the antenna. This could create a problem should he feedline be basically parallel with the antenna.

Hopefully you are using a 1:1 current balun and not a 4:1 current or voltage balun. If you are using a 4:1 balun, I suggest turning it around in the circuit such that it is operating as a 1:4 balun. If you are using the configuration as a 4:1 balun, with a Z on the output side at some 20 ohms, then tuner is seeing something like 5 ohms. Thus finding the Z to be outside of the matching range of the tuner.

Just a few thoughts and ramblings.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>