Re: [TenTec] Requirements for a top tier DXing rig

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Requirements for a top tier DXing rig
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:21:51 -0700

On 10/18/2013 10:41 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
Agreed on all your other counts, but not on this one. I'm mostly a contester, although I do chase DX, and for contesting, I run two radios. Six years ago, I had a pair of FT1000MPs on my desk, and liked them, but man, did they fill up the operating desk! There was barely room for my Thinkpad and paddle, and it certainly wasn't comfortable!
I traded an Omni-VI+ with p/s and speaker and a 238 tuner (and a 516) in toward an Eagle. Talk about an increase in desk space! I'm constrained at the moment because the shack doubles as a library (mostly the XYLs books from her professorly days) so I can't add side tables for additional gear at this time. The ideal plan was to have a u-shaped operating area, like in the computer room when I was a software developer/systems programmer. Won't happen unless we drastically downsize the library. Fortunately, I bought the XYL a Kindle and then an iPad with Kindle and Nook reader apps, so she's thinking of replacing the actual books with e-book versions where possible.
I might get one leg of the "U" yet!

Along that line, a week ago I heard Wayne Burdick, owner and chief engineer of Elecraft, talk about his design process for the K2 and K3, which were introduced about ten years apart. In the Q&A, someone asked him about a future K4. He responded that his company's philosophy was to upgrade existing products rather than to introduce new stuff that would obsolete them. He noted that the KX3 is a lot smaller and does some things better than the K3 because he had access to better chips five years after designing the K3, and that if the K3 were to be upgraded, it would likely be in the form of one or more new boards to replace those in the existing radio. Now that's what I call support, and putting the customer first!
Love the philosophy. You must have gone to Pacificon. We had to pass this year, owing to moving back into the house one day before we were to leave for Santa Clara, thanks to a kitchen/bathroom remodel. I'm still trying to get someone to give me a report on the convention, especially any QRP activities.

I also have the K3 for the shack and the KX3 for the field. Having to buy an entirely new radio to gain a few more features is for the birds. That's why I'm moving to an all-American shack. Elecraft, Ten-Tec, Flex and Drake.
73, Jim K9YC
73 de Jim - AD6CW