Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI driver & final pa R&R

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI driver & final pa R&R
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 07:22:23 -0500 (CDT)
I agree with Ken on this.  If you have determined that the devices are
indeed bad, then change them.  Otherwise, further investigation is
required.  Using the "shotgun" approach to trouble shooting often leads
to more problems that originally first existed.

73 Bob K4TAX

> Hi Don,
>
> If you have discussed this before, I did not read it, or forgot it. I
> apologize if I'm pointing out things that you have already gone over.
>
> I would not change out any of those transistors unless you have already
> confirmed several things. Those things would be: DC power supply to the
> RF PA assembly is working. RF cable from driver board to PA assembly is
> good. RF cables on output of RF PA are good. Cable from BPF to output
> connector is good. (You could bypass the bandpass filters for a quick
> check into a 50 ohm termination to confirm the power is not lost there),
> and does the low level driver produce the required drive.
>
> It sure would be handy to have a spare one of those cables with the
> funny little coaxial connectors Ten-Tec used on those boards, to cut in
> half and build a couple of adapter cables with BNC or other easy to use
> connectors on it. Would be nice to plug the output of the low level
> driver into an appropriately sized power meter and termination to see
> what you get. Could also connect directly to PA board output to bypass
> other cables and BPF.
>
> DE N6KB
>
> On 11/1/2013 7:09 PM, Don Jones wrote:
>> Well guys, I am going to do a R&R of my 2SC1969 drivers and MRF458
>> finals tomorrow. crossing my fingers that this will solve the no TX
>> power out problem with my beloved 6. Wishing I was just swapping out a
>> 12BY7 and a pair of 6146's right now...
>> Wish me luck,
>> Don KO7i

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.