[TenTec] Orion II strange happenings...

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II strange happenings...
From: cx7tt@4email.net
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:15:04 -0200

Hello All,

Yesterday I un-installed the LDG OT-11P autotuner and after completion
the radio would not receive...only white noise and constant,
'shhhhssss'.  Retraced my steps, re-solder JP2-1 on A9 Dist Board as I
had used the Hakko 808 solder sucker to remove the tack soldered OT-11P
13v power lead. Double checked that Jumper 26-27 connected where former
rf in/out had been used by the autotuner. Opened the front panel and
reset all tmp and other jumpers, just in case.  Still no signals.
Replaced the coax from Ant 1 to antenna switch, I had other radio on
10m ssb listening to ZR0ZR pileup, still no signals. Changed to Ant 2
and checked selections from front panel, just in case in handling the
radio, I may have push a wrong button. Still nothing...I then tried
xmit via 'Tune'...no output to Bird wattmeter w/100w slug. Above 20w,
the O II meter would indicate about 1/2 scale and SWR of 1:1 but no
output on Bird.

A couple of years ago I had purchased the N6IE suggested larger
capacitors for the A9 Dist Board but since I had none of the symptoms
that Ron had experienced, I had procrastinated doing the install.  I
wanted to make sure the rig worked after the OT-11P un-install before
venturing into any mods.  Since the covers were all off I decided to do
the A9 install regardless, thinking  WTH, it's gonna have to go to
TenTec anyway.

After soldering in the 3 new caps and powering up the rig, VIOLA!
Signals everywhere! O II transmits and receives perfectly.

I have no idea how this came about...any ideas on cause/effect?

73

Tom

CX7TT