Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 505 alignment, filter, mod?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 505 alignment, filter, mod?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:50:25 +0100
The xtal filter is located on the SSB Generator board, not on the IF board.

There is no problem to change the crystal filter on the 505.  It's no
different than the 509.

In fact I replaced the 4-pole filter in my 505 with a German KVG XF9-B
8-pole crystal filter, which was about the best filter money could buy back
in 1975.  I also had to replace the crystal in the 9 MHz local oscillator
and re-align the passbands because the XF9-B was on a slightly different
frequency than the standard Ten-Tec filters.  Worked like a champ.

I owned the 505 and the 509 at the same time.  I used to swap a lot of the
boards back and forth.  Eventually I sold the 505, but I sold it with the
509's SSB Generator board, and kept the 505's SSB Generator in my 509,
because I wanted the better filter in my newer rig.

In addition I also installed a Yaesu 500 Hz CW filter in the radio and had
it switch in automatically when going into CW mode.  That, together with the
narrow audio filter in the AGC line gave me great selectivity!

I was working for Rhode und Schwarz at the time, and had access to some of
the best test equipment in the world.
I carefully soldered in a lot of extra thin copper shielding and improved
the ultimate attenuation significantly.

I can assure you, my 509 was a real ass-kicker! (hi)
Unfortunately I sold it when I bought a Scout. BIG MISTAKE.

The circuitry of these rigs is well described in their manuals and they are
totally easy to work on.
Pulling the front panel is only difficult the first couple of times.  I
sometimes pulled mine a couple of times in a day. That's what happens when
you are not paying attention and forget stuff!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)