Re: [TenTec] MMRTTY+ Omni 6 question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] MMRTTY+ Omni 6 question
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:28:17 -0500

On 2/4/2014 10:04 AM, Carter  wrote:
>> I realize that MMRTTY has a 'net' control but that it is only
>> active if you are transmitting AFSK -- and I am not. I also pressed
>> the "HAM" button in MMRTTY which sets the shift to 170 Hz and the
>> mark to 2125 Hz, but this then makes the received signal go off
>> freq a bit (that is, the "cross-pattern" tuning indicator is not
>> giving a cross anymore, have to re-tune the receiver and then the
>> copy (and cross) is OK again), but the MMRTTY window that formerly
>> read '2125' does not; it reads around  ~ 1800 -1870 Hz and I am no
>> longer transmitting on the received station's frequency.

Jim,
Thanks for the response...and here are a couple of comments on your comments.:-)

On 2/4/2014 2:35 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

In FSK mode, the TX frequency  does NOT track MMTTY's AFC.

This is true -- but I am a true FSK believer. Possibly, as an -extremely- new user of MMTTY and not knowing why AFC is needed, I speak from a position of ignorance, but most transceivers built in the last 15 years or so seem quite stable. In years of using Ka-Gold and Writelog I've never said "Gee, I wish I had AFC".

BUT --
> there are many settings in MMTTY that we can change to suit our
> needs. For example, we can change the HAM defaults to whatever we
> want -- I set mine for low tones (915 Hz mark), which I find easier
> on the ears, and also easier to tune in by ear.

Maybe you've given me an answer. Now that I know that the HAM feature is adjustable, maybe I can set it to around 1800 Hz (or whatever my magic number happens to be) to get me back to the equivalent of simplex.

I use MMTTY with AFSK
> and VOX, feeding the sound card to the line input of my radio (a K3).
> In AFSK mode, we can turn AFC and NET on and off independently.

> Most serious RTTY operators who use AFSK turn AFC and RIT off when
> calling a station, and use RIT or AFC when calling CQ.

Call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer to use true FSK rather than AFSK to avoid the dreaded and accidental condition of overdrive. Also, after being spoiled by years of true simplex with Ka-Gold and Writelog, using RIT would seem like a step backwards for me.

Thanks again for your comments and maybe changing the HAM default will do the trick!

73,
Carter   K8VT