Re: [TenTec] Eagle AM filter requirement

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle AM filter requirement
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 07:47:52 -0600
Yes, Barry is correct to my recall.

As a general statement what is being said, the 6 KHz filter is required if one wishes to transmit AM. I guess what's not said is one can operate AM with the 15 KHz filter as well. And if one only has the 2.4 KHz standard filter then AM operation would not be satisfactory. Since AM is a double sideband signal with carrier, a filter system of 6 KHz bandwidth is required. Plus there is a difference in center frequency between the 6 KHz filter, required to pass both sidebands, where as the standard 2.4 KHz filter is intended to pass only one sideband. I do recall that the FM 15 KHz filter does have a bit more insertion loss, then the AM carrier output will be less than the expected 22 to 25 watts.

I've used the Eagle on AM making many contacts with those that know of my AM operations. In general the audio is described a very good and the modulation is very good. In fact, other than signal strength, most can't tell if I'm operating one of my high level transmitters or the Tentec Eagle.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>