Re: [TenTec] Adding Pilot Light to RX-320D

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Adding Pilot Light to RX-320D
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 06:52:47 -0500
Mike,

I know it's been over a year, but I've been reviewing my emails.
Do you happen to have any of those red LEDs left?

Thanks,

de Phil - N8PS

-----

Quoting Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>:

It's a easy as eating pancakes!

I'd suggest a T-1 LED. they're the smaller of the normal T 1 3/4.

Like a diode, an LED is polarity sensitive, it will only light when connected correctly.

decide where on the front panel you want the led to go, the smaller T-1 I think would look the best.

using a scrap piece of pcb material, metal, or whatever you have, and use that as a practice piece. You want a hole that the led will JUST barely push into to.

when you have the right size, mask off the front of the 320, mark the spot with a marker and then gently tap in a punch tip to make a small dimple, keeps the drill from walking.

when the hole is in, get a black magic marker and mark the inside of the hole and the edges, then push the led into the hole

place the led into the hole so the leads are side by side and not up and down.

as small, and I mean small, drop of super glue will hold the led in place

you'll notice that the led has one lead longer than the other. that longer lead is the POSITIVE side the led.

Now, you need a 1K resistor. clip the both leads back on the resistor to about 3/8 of an inch. Pretin both resistors leads and the longer lead of the LED.

Using a just a small amount of solder, solder one end of the resistor to the long lead of the LED.

Now, with some small gauge wire, say 24 or 26 solder a wire from the short lead to the nearest ground connection.

slip a piece of heat shrink tubing or insulating tubing (tape will work, too) around the resistor and the connections to the led. You don't want either lead to touch.

(If I were doing this, I'd cut both resistors leads to about 1/4 inch, and then solder the wires. But if you've never worked with one before, then leave the leads long.)

solder a wire from the free end of the resistor to the power switch.

Choose the lug on the power switch that has a wire going to the pcb. Solder the wire from the resistor to that lug.

apply power and flip the switch.

Enjoy your power LED

Mike, wb8vge

Ohhh, if you don't have a few red led T-1 in hand, let me know and I'll send you some----free!