Re: [TenTec] Troubleshooting Argonaut 505 with low output

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Troubleshooting Argonaut 505 with low output
From: "Bry Carling" <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 22:47:57 -0500
Rick you are almost certainly right about the wall warts. That may be why some
of us are
watching our S-meters dangle around S4 - S6 a lot of the time these days. It's
annoying,
but that's the way it is. My house has a few wall wart PSUs running, and I
think almost ALL
my neighbors do too.

I was tracking down a really bad S9 noise and it finally led me to a fancy
Chinese made light
fixture in our kitchen. We bought it "on sale" a while back. It came from this
expensive,
designer lighting store in Orlando. I turned that thing off in the kitchen and
"boom boom - out
went the noise" in the ham station.  It dropped from S9+20 dB on some bands to
S4. On
others it was not so bad, but that darn thing was a horrible transmitter. So
much for 38 years
of bloody deregulation!

If the XYL is cooking and turns it on I can't use 40m. the little power supply
inside that thing is
going to get replaced.

Here is a picture of that light fixture in case anyone is interested. Yes, I
know - we are crazy
artists and musicians at this house...

http://www.af4k.com/imag/ham/lightfixture.jpg

Oh, that earlier remark was a musical reference to a Little Walter song from
the 1930s. Boom
boom, out go the lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYPIX0lKSY

73 to all,