[TenTec] Eagle VFO Knob Friction or Dragging

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Eagle VFO Knob Friction or Dragging
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:50:44 -0600
Finally got around to doing what I said. It warmed up today and I pulled the
Eagle out of the truck and into the shop.

The VFO knob:
Remove the rubber ring which easily slips off.  If this ring gets pushed back
toward the front panel in handling it can come in contact with the front panel
causing uneven rotation or excessive drag.  Also, loosen the set screw with the
Tentec supplied Allen wrench and pull the knob forward or off of the shaft.
You will find a bushing in the front panel.  This bushing extends past the
front panel about 1/16" or less.  While the knob may clear the front panel, it
may not be clear of the bushing.  This can cause drag.   I did notice on my
unit that the encoder shaft has a small amount of in and out play, +/- 1/32" or
so.  When replacing the knob, be sure that the knob does not contact the
bushing when a slight amount of inward pressure is placed on the knob.  Make
sure the set screw is tight and replace the rubber outer ring.

The other dual shaft knobs:
The inner or smaller knob has a set screw to holds it to the shaft.  I found
the larger/outer knob does have a bit of in and out play or slip on the shaft.
I did not find that the outer knob ever contacted the front panel.  I did find
that if the inner knob / smaller one is pushed all the way in it has the
possibility of contacting the outer knob thus when turning one, the other may
turn.  If this is the case, then loosen the set screw on the smaller or inner
knob and slip it forward or a bit further off of the shaft to assure it does
not contact the outer knob.

The MULTI knob;
Same applies as to the VFO knob except there is no rubber ring.

AT YOUR OWN RISK:
While I've done this, I'm not sure how I feed about suggesting any type of
lubricant on the shaft of the VFO encoder and the MULTI encoder.  However, with
the radio vertical and the VFO and MULTI knobs removed, I did apply sparingly
ONE DROP of a plant based oil to each shaft where it exits the bushing on the
front panel.  Then with the fingers, exercise by rotating the shaft.  Do not
use an excessive amount of oil and do wipe away any excess.  The product I used
is ULTRA Lube 4X.  This product is comprised of high OLEIC soy plant base oil,
which is non-toxic and is a biodegradable oil.  Distributed by Plews-LubrMatic,
Dixon IL.  I purchased mine at Lowe's.   Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should one use
LPS or WD-40 or like lubricant!  It will EAT the plastic!

Hope this helps.

73
Bob, K4TAX

DISCLOSURE:
This is to inform all persons, I am a Tentec Ambassador and I receive
compensation according to the Tentec Ambassador program.  In addition, I
serve as a volunteer beta test person to Tentec for the Omni VII, Eagle
and Argonaut VI radios.  I hold no employment relationship, no financial
interests nor do I conduct any commercial business, direct or indirect,
with Tentec.