Re: [TenTec] corsair 2 eprom

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] corsair 2 eprom
From: "A R" <raf_3@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:35:33 -0700
Hi Spencer,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I inspected the soldering and even the foil runs,
since Garry at TT told me they had problems with the TT-produced pwb's. The
board and soldering are all good, as well as the voltages and the passive
components involved. With the processor installed, the voltage at the pin-8
"dit" input is 1.1v., while the voltage at the pin-19 "dah" input is 5v as it
should be. With the processor removed the voltage at pin-8 of the socket is 5v,
and all other pins check good. All functions of the microprocessor are as they
should be, except for the keyer "dit" function. Both of those keyer inputs are
hardwired directly to the paddle jack.
I come out of a background in military and space electronics, where it is
standard design practice to never interface an input or output of an LSI device
(like the microprocessor) directly to an externally accessible feature, since
accidental/inadvertent overstresses at an external feature can cause damage to
the costly LSI. Standard design practice in the aforementioned industries, is
to insert inexpensive protective "buffer" devices between the outside-world
external features and the LSI, which in general are pretty darn intolerant of
electrical overstress. Just from the nature of this failure, I'm guessing that
the former owner of the Corsair II probably plugged something that he shouldn't
have into the keyer jack, and poof........

I'd be happy if I could just defeat the keyer function when in CW mode, and
just use a bug or straight key. Unfortunately, the microprocessor
program/architecture doesn't accommodate defeating the keyer function.

73,
Allen----W7GIF