Re: [TenTec] Capacitor Replacement on Orion II Power Distribution Board

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Capacitor Replacement on Orion II Power Distribution Board A9
From: Ben Antanaitis - WB2RHM <wb2rhm@wb2rhm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:42:26 -0400
All,

To add some explanations/advice to my A9 Power Board 'repair/upgrade' thought process and reasoning, here is a sequence of postings I made before and during and after I made the changes, using new low ESR capacitors mentioned by Barry.

This upgrade cost less than $10 including shipping last year, and made a significant positive difference to display quality and stability. I don't work for Ten-Tec and they were not consulted about my changes. But everything is still working fine after almost a year and a dozen or so long RTTY contests.

You assume any risks making these changes........ soldering irons are HOT ;)

73,

Ben - WB2RHM

--- In <mailto:orion565@yahoogroups.com>orion565@yahoogroups.com, "WB2RHM" <wb2rhm@...> wrote: > > > All, > > Here are my results....... > > All the new electrolytic, A9 board, caps arrived from Mouser, total cost > less than $10US including USPS Priority shipping. I had no problems > installing all of the 'new' 50WVDC Panasonic LowESR caps into the A9 > board. However, two of the 470uf caps did not sit perfectly flat to > the A9 board because they are an RCH ( :) ) larger in diameter than > space allows.... No problem, if you tilt them slightly away from each > other, this allows for easy placement and soldering. > > To test before installing A9 into the 565, I used an external regulsted > power supply to supply +13.8VDC to the A9 board input pins. When > measured, the +5V Output pins provided +5.1VDC and there was NO > detectable ripple on the +5V A9 pins. The -20.5VDC A9 JP1 pins, > measured on my DVM, showed -20.4VDC, with a 'flat line' ripple displayed > on my 35MHZ Elenco O'Scope. > > Based on the isolated A9 test, I installed the A9 into my 565. > > WOW! From power-on, after the system initialization, the Blue on White > or the White on Blue displays were CRISP, and the characters appear to > be SHARPER, with no contrast change from Power-on to +15 Hours of 100% > duty cycle......... (the duration of the Volta RTTY contest last > weekend). Some of this could be due to how OLD my 565 had aged over > the past 10 years......... BUT it is like having a new display in a > new 565. > > However, nothing has changed about the angle-of-view flicker for the > replacement Blue display........ the clearest viewing is restricted to a > narrow angle +/- off of straight-on line of sight. But, when you are > viewing it almost 'straight-on', it is perfect White-on-blue or > Blue-on-white................... The inherent 'flicker' of the > replacement Blue display is still there...... and that is the next > thing to 'fix'. But any warm-up fading/horizontal lines are gone. > > $10 bucks.......... you cannot miss on this update if your display has > aged. > > 73, > > Ben - WB2RHM >