Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

To: "george fritkin" <georgefritkin@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 14:02:31 -0500 (CDT)
One thing missing from ratings is "audio quality".  Lacking this, one has
little more than paper weigh on the desk.

73 Bob K4TAX

> The eagle is one of the simplest radios
>
> George, W6GF
> On Saturday, April 5, 2014 11:05 AM, Timothy Randa <randaranch@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I know some hams dwell on the radio with the best specs listed on
> someones
> web site. I tend to leave that arguement to the engeineers in the group
> but
> read with interest. I have but one interest in ham radio...to have fun. I
> tend to lean toward the radio that is the most fun to operate. That's one
> reason I guess I change main station radios so often. The bands and qso's
> don't change, my desire to use a different/hopefully more fun radio does.
> To me a simple rig like the eagle just doesn't do much for me. The
> K3...one
> ugly duckling. These may have the best receivers on the market but I like
> bells and whistles. I like band scopes. I like nice looking radios. I
> would
> dare say I'm not a minority in the way I persue ham radio. Have fun, turn
> the knobs, watch the tubes glow, and get away from the keyboard. That my
> advise for what it's worth
>
> Just a thought
>
> Tim  K0FL
>

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Ron Notarius W3WN
> <wn3vaw@verizon.net>wrote:
>
>> Speaking only for myself, and take this for whatever it's worth...
>>
>> A friend of mine at one point owned an Omni VI+ and a K3.  He later
>> added
>> an
>> Omni VII to the operating collection.  He used all three rigs
>> extensively,
>> and when I operated from his QTH, I used them as well.
>>
>> Today?  He still owns the Omni VI+, and now has an Eagle as well (it
>> took
>> the place of an Argonaut V).  The K3 has found a new home.
>>
>> Oh, the Omni VII has moved on as well... he's trying out a TS-990 at
>> the
>> moment.  But not to worry, it got a new home as well... mine.
>>
>> The point is that no one radio will satisfy all the people at all
>> times.
>> And tastes change, as needs change, or as new technology comes out with
>> improvements.
>>
>> The question is not which radio is "the best".  It should be which
>> radio is
>> "the best" for you & your operating needs & desires at this time.
>>
>> 73, ron w3wn

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.