Re: [TenTec] mike

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] mike
From: "Rodney" <w3krq@dejazzd.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:10:33 -0400
Natural voice and intelligibility

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Reid
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:18 AM
To: tentec@contesting.com

Rodney,

I read your posts but I am not really sure what you accomplished in your microphone test. Were you trying to find the mic that sounded the most like your natural voice, or were you going for intelligibility ?

I have been a recording engineer for years, and own my own studio. It is not uncommon to try several microphones of the same type and find slight differences in the frequency response. If these two mics have the same element, you might end up back where you started.

If the mic is unidirectional, proximity effect will come into play, as well as how the capsule is vented, mounted, whether or not there is a pop filter under the screen, etc. Even the length of the coaxial mic cable can add capacitance to an unbalanced mic circuit.

If you are going for intelligibility, try having a qso and keep reducing power until you can barely be heard, then try both mics.

Doug  WD4LNW