[TenTec] Big TX Loops

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Big TX Loops
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 23:43:13 -0700
My neighbor, W6GJB, has built a large TX loop Here's how described it to another ham. The "army mast" he's talking about is a bunch of 4 ft sections of 2-in o.d. Al tubing that fit together, and fit into a triangulsr base. They've been sold at Dayton and other flea markets for several decades, and are quite useful. With a tripod section made from two sections per leg, it's easy for one guy to push them up, then slip another section under it at the bottom, and so on They will, for example, support a small tribander like a C3 at 30 ft if guyed properly. We've also used them to build a 2-element vertical array for 40M.

The mag loop is homebrew, made of 8 segments of Army mast bent (very carefully) in a pipe bender. The whole thing can break down and go into the big green bags that go with that tubing. The air-variable capacitor should be able to handle 500W, but I have not tried that yet. Running 100W at this point with a KX3+KXPA100.

With 8 segments it is close to 1/4 wave on 40, which should be over 90% efficient with some of it going into low angle radiation. Should be better than a low dipole. I can add fixed capacitance to tune it on 80, or add another 4 tubes and it should be better than 80% efficient on 80.

So to clarify, his loop consists of four sections of mast that are each bent twice at 45 degrees. They go in the four corners, then a straight section goes between each of the four sides. That's the 40M loop. So what he's saying is that to build it for 80M, you simply add another straight section on each side.

This is a current project for him, and he's in the process of on-air testing using RBN to get comparative signal reports with his other antennas.

This is fairly inexpensive to build (I'd guess around $500), but you need a good pipe bender, some practice, the sections, and suitable HV caps. I've given him several big air variables from my junk box to play with.

An objective is for something he can throw in the back of his truck and set up quickly for FD or CQP.

73, Jim K9YC