Re: [TenTec] Grounds

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Grounds
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 01:13:48 -0500
*I feel the same way. I have done all of the following for Nothing??? Two
Copper Clad 8 foot Ground Rods tied to everything in the Shack. Two
Stranded Copper Cables the size of your thumb. Ground Rods Bonded to
Electrical Ground at the Service Entrance, Cable TV Ground and Water Pipe
Ground (outside water spigot) And all of this less than 6 feet away outside
the Shack Window. 100% Crazy about Everything having the Three Wire Plug
and such. No Tower here so we are always ready to throw the RG-8 from the
Dipole out the Window. And also unplug the AC Outlets at a Moments
Notice. And now I learn that we did this All for Nothing. Sorry Folks but,
I have lived in Tampa, Florida. The Lightning Capitol of the World. Once
many years ago, lightning Splintered my Fiberglass 10 Meter antenna so
badly that all we found was white fiberglass toothpicks, and came through
the Window AC Unit, Blowing a hole in the AC Compressor and the Controls to
it out into the room. The Hiss of Freon took several minutes to die down.
Well, I personally don't know about you guys but, if we can keep a static
charge Off of Anything at this QTH that would draw a strike.... It will get
done. Heck, sure wish we could do a proper Halo. And.... I will Never again
use Any Antenna that has a Fiberglass Cover. That is just Begging for
trouble. Now fellows... if I am wrong? Please explain what it hurts to Try
and protect Yourself and Equipment.*
*                            73 my Friends from Wade/KJ4WS*