Re: [TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.

To: "R. Eric Sluder - W9WLW" <resluder@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 08:52:44 -0500
Many of us more mature types will recall that back in the Happy Days of the
post war years, there was almost nothing in the way of public radio systems
and those that were in use were crude, inefficient, hard to maintain and
limited in effectiveness.  Police units had huge radios in the trunks and
large whips on the trunk, but you had to drive up to a hill to call back to
the station.  I'm not sure the fire department had radios in my small
town.  The local radio station did remote broadcasts by leased telephone
line from various points that had to be pre-wired in advance by the
engineer at the radio station, and dial telephones didn't arrive until the
late 50's or so.

In these circumstances, every time there was a severe weather event, here
it would be floods or hurricanes, elsewhere it might be fires or
earthquakes, or blizzards, having radio communication was very important
and hams were the only game in town.  Even into the 60's, when a hurricane
blew through south Texas, the first things that failed were the public
service radios, power and antennas, and nobody knew how to get them back up
and on the air usually.  A weather bureau employee named Art Ross, W5KR,
later SCM, in Brownsville, was the only way to get information in or out of
Brownsville in the September 1967 hurricane.  I was operating from the
Department of Public Safety HQ in Austin where, every evening, then
Governor John Connally came and sat beside me listening to what the
amateurs were accomplishing.  Art Ross received a commendation from LBJ for
his efforts in that event.  It surely wasn't perfect but it was all there
was.

Nearly 50 years later, things have changed with government agencies awash
in money to buy and improve communications systems hardened against almost
any eventuality.  Every public servant in the field, even the meter
readers, has a h/t linked back through the sophisticated secure repeater
network, as well as cell phones.

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen