Re: [TenTec] Triton IV Front Panel Wear

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Triton IV Front Panel Wear
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 17:01:55 -0400
I agree... I would not try to strip the current cover.

I would clean it with something that can cut grease and oil and yet not harm the paint or other finish. Oddly enough, my usual cleaner of choice is naphtha, and have even used it to get a blab of ballpoint pen ink off my beloved Martin guitar. I use it to remove sticky glue residue off stuff, and more. I always clean the surface with another, very mild, cleaner... often first with a damp rag and then with an anhydrous cleaner (such as isopropyl alcohol.)

I would not, however, use a cleaner like Formula-405 or similar, because those cleaners are often quite harsh and caustic in their effects, and have been known to cut through some types of paint and other protective materials. For example, I would use a little ammonia very diluted with water before I used a harsh cleaner like Formula-405.

In any case, I would go slow and easy and experiment with any cleaner on a small area, first, moving to broader coverage cautiously.

After cleaning with naphtha or other mild grease-cutting cleaner, I would further clean and remove all cleaner residue with an anhydrous cleaner, as per above, and then I WOULD spray some sort of protective cover, and your choice is probably better than mine in that department. Something clear that is not likely to yellow or cloud up with age would be best.

I have had great success with the above, especially restoring old guitars, radios, cameras, and more, but, of course, all of this entails risk, so no guarantees or warranties are implied herein. ;-)

Remember, the old adage:

        "If you fix something long enough...
                eventually you will break it."

Just MY take...