Re: [TenTec] Estate Sale - Ten Tec Titan 425 For Sale

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Estate Sale - Ten Tec Titan 425 For Sale
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:37:55 -0700
Will,

Two very important things. The value of the amp depends a lot on the condition of the tubes. If you have not done so already, you should have that checked out by someone familiar with amps of that type and vintage. The $1750 asking price is about right for tubes in like new condition.

Second, and most critical -- you are right to not want to ship it. I bought one of my three Titans from a ham in the Virgin Islands. To ship it, he had to remove the power transformer from the power supply and ship it separately. That MUST be done, because the power supply chassis is pretty light weight and the transformer is very heavy, so the weight of the transformer would destroy the power supply in shipping.

The downside of not shipping it is that it reduces the value, because it limits who you can sell it to. I suggest that you advertise it to as many radio clubs in your area as you can, and especially to contest and DX clubs, whose members are more likely to want a nice amp like this. I see that you're in central Tennessee. There are active contest clubs in TN and northern GA. One good contact would be N4ZZ, who is in Nashville. Another would be W4NZ, in Chattanooga. And there's my friend K4BAI. See their email addresses as cc: to this email. The GA guys know TN pretty well -- K4BAI and KU8E drive a mobile through a bunch of TN counties for the TN QSO party every year.

73, Jim K9YC