Re: [TenTec] OT - Desk Microphone Switch Issue

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT - Desk Microphone Switch Issue
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:49:22 -0400
OK... Yeah, I only use WD-40 to loosen stuck stuff. I use oils and other lubricants to lube stuff. WD-40 will lacquer in time and gunk up the process.

I have some RadioShack contact cleaner (which I believe is re-branded De-Oxit) and my worry is that it will damage the little brown "wafers" which separate the switch elements or make them conductive in any way.

This is my worry:

I am a rookie, but I know phenolic surfaces may absorb fluids depending on how porous they are. So I would not want to apply any polar (conductive) stuff on them, such as a solvent that has alcohol in it. The alcohol could be absorbed into the phenolic wafer, and not completely evaporate, making it conductive, causing the switch to short.

I figure... The DeoxIT D5 (flushing, slow drying version) or DN5 (quick drying, non-drip version) should be OK on the CONTACT AREAS of the switch, but maybe not if I get too much on the di-electric insulator wafers in the switch mechanism.

SO... maybe I try a little contact cleaner, USING A COTTON SWAB to keep it on the metal contact area, and keep it off the wafer material as best I can.

Does this compute???