Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rate

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rate
From: shristov <shristov@ptt.rs>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:33:59 +0200
Paul DeWitte <k9ot@yousq.net> wrote:

> If I use a 302 pod > (or what > ever the number is) can I set that at a
> different rate than the
> main tuning knob on the radio?

The only thing that you can set separately is "Encoder Rate" in "Others" menu.
It should be set to "Fast" for both internal and external encoders, providing
250 steps or 2.5 kHz per rotation with 10 Hz steps. That's a bit too slow for
SSB,
and a bit too fast for CW, but it's the only setting making sense for general
use.

Do not use "Slow" setting as it gives you only 62.5 steps per rotation.

With 250 steps/rotation Orion differs markedly from Japanese rigs, even
cheaper ones, which generally have a much more pleasant 1000 steps/rotation.

It would make an interesting project to replace the original encoder
with a new one having a better resolution.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA