Re: [TenTec] ESR vs Leakage

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ESR vs Leakage
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 21:29:38 -0700
On 7/9/2014 7:28 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
Can ESR be related to DC leakage?

ESR is "equivalent series resistance" to an AC current. ESR will vary with frequency. Here's are a couple of tutorials. fairly good discussion of it. I think the second one is better.

http://www.low-esr.com/QT_LowESR.pdf

http://www.avnet-abacus.eu/news/technical-news/details/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1731&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2338&cHash=3ddf3975f083fbff1eadd89fd708e6f9

In terms of practical meaning, ESR is the component in the equivalent circuit that tells us how much heat will be dissipated as a result of RF current through the capacitor. If, for example, the capacitor is simply bypassing a component to circuit common, it carries very little AC current. But capacitors in the resonant parts of a power amplifier's tank circuit, or in a bandpass filter in a contest station, are likely to carry a lot of RF current.

When I first moved to CA in 2006, one of my first antennas was a vertical for 160M that I loaded so that it was much longer than a quarter wave. This made it inductive and with a series resistance of 50 ohms, so I used a series capacitor to tune out the inductance. I run legal limit, so if the ESR is high, it's gonna fry. Here near Silicon Valley, we are still blessed with a good electronics surplus warehouse, so I grabbed a half dozen pieces each of 20-30 different capacitors that looked like candidates. Prices are discounted to 5-10% of standard costs, so I could afford to stock my junkbox.

I then took those caps, combined them to get the computed value for the matching, and fired up the rig. Some of those caps got hot (and would have smoked if I'd run them very long), others did not and are still running fine 8 years later. The difference was ESR.

73, Jim K9YC