[TenTec] Model 1225 SWR and Wattmeter Kit

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Model 1225 SWR and Wattmeter Kit
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 22:30:51 -0400
I built the TT Model 1225 SWR/Wattmeter kit, which is specified to operate between 1.8 and 30 MHz. It works best between 3 and 21 MHz, and is just OK on 160 and 10 meters. OK, no surprise, that IS a long reach for a single meter. In spite of the specifications...

        Has anyone tried using it on 6 meters (50 MHz)?

        If so, how did it work for you?

My example does not work outside the specified range, although I figured it might be at least somewhat, sorta, kinda, useful as a general indicator, but that is not the case. So, I am wondering if anyone else has had a better experience with it under this scenario. If not, I suppose my Brand X meter will suffice to monitor my 6 meters transmissions.

A reliable ham recommends the current Daiwa 801 series meters. Does anyone have a better idea for an inexpensive (defined as costing less than $200) meter that can measure HF and 6 meters? The Daiwa model costs around $150, and seems to be the leading contender.

Does anyone think the TT Model 1225 could be modified or adjusted to measure 6 meter transmission accurately (understanding that might prevent it from reading lower HF bands correctly) ?

Any other ideas?