Re: [TenTec] Paragon problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon problem
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 07:28:33 -0400
The input diodes were actually BA482's, while the output diodes were
1N4148's. The former has about .7dB lower losses, but also has a breakdown
reverse voltage of only 35v  as opposed to 75v for the latter, so I think
that is why they were the ones to fail. The BA482 seems to be made of
unobtanium, but the 1N4148's are readily available...I actually had 9 in my
junk box. Looking deeper at the next board, the 1st Mixer, I think several
of the BA type or PIN diodes there may be zapped, as well, but I found a
board from a parted out Paragon that I have on the way, and hopefully that
will save a lot of time on component repair.

I did test each band section on the Hi-pass board and the voltages are
switching correctly, although the actual voltage seems a little off to what
I would have expected. I identified the bad diodes using the forward/reverse
resistance check, but on my digital meter I had to use the 2Meg scale to get
readings.

=Vic=
WA4THR