Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Re: [NCCC] WRTC HW/SW: 64% Elecraft K3, 68% Win-Test

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Re: [NCCC] WRTC HW/SW: 64% Elecraft K3, 68% Win-Test
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:30:43 +0200
Thanks Jim, this was very useful information.
Makes one wonder what to do.

That N1MM is the most popular is, IMO, a US-centric statement.
Over here, WIN-TEST is the leader by far.

It seems there is no money in selling contest software to hams.
Thinking back over the years, many of the people I knew writing contest
software eventually got out of it for that reason.

WIN-TEST launched one year after the ORION launched, and was actually
launched from the TEN-TEC booth in Friedrichshafen!

The French WIN-TEST Team had a little corner of the Appello-Funk booth, and
Appello is the German TEN-TEC distributor.
The two French guys were really enthusiastic.
(We all got copies of their software for free, which was nice).
But 10 Years After, the momentum has dwindled.
It's a lot of work supporting this software forever.

One of the problems is what N6TV pointed out.
He said WIN-TEST does not support "CQP".
I thought, "what is that?"  Had to google it.  California QSO Party.

Over here it's the same in reverse.
The good US software does not support many of the popular European contests.
That's a challenge for anyone writing software.
It's a huge amount of work and people eventually grow tired of it consuming
their lives.

Perhaps DXLog is the future.  We'll see.

I yearn for the days of CT?
Whatever happened to K1EA?

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)