Re: [TenTec] Thank you Ten Tec!

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Thank you Ten Tec!
From: "R. Eric Sluder-W9WLW via TenTec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:39:04 -0700
A terrific story!  We have had plenty of negative talk on this list, and it's
refreshing to see a positive note about Ten-Tec service with a smile!

-Eric
W9WLW

 Subject: [TenTec]  Thank you Ten Tec!
 To: tentec@contesting.com
 Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 7:45 AM

 Last week I was traveling to East
 Tennessee for several days and meeting
 with other family members for a short vacation. I had been
 spending time on
 the phone with Garry Green at Ten Tec, who was very patient
 with me as I
 diagnosed the damage incurred with a self-induced fault on
 my 585 Paragon.
 We had talked several times over the previous week and he
 was quite helpful
 in suggesting ways to diagnose the fault, and I had fixed
 some issues. At
 the last minute before leaving town I decided to pack the
 radio along and
 hit TT as they opened their doors on Thursday. Garry took
 the radio back to
 service and my brother-in-law, Bob N4HCI, and I had a chance
 to chat with
 Stan about the amazingly huge success of their summer sale
 (I am on the list
 for an Omni VII). Jim Wharton came out while we were playing
 with radios in
 the demo station and chatted about the organizational
 philosophy of TT going
 forward and why the decision to specialize in radio design
 and manufacturing
 rather than continuing the other non-related businesses. All
 sound business
 decisions and consistent with the trend to farm out the
 specialty stuff
 they've been on since I first visited in the 70's. They are
 still looking
 for their new location, but they have until the end of the
 year to move out.

 I had told Garry that I was in the area until the weekend,
 and they called
 late in the day Thursday to say the radio was finished and
 tested and I
 could pick it up Friday! The repair involved identifying and
 replacing a
 failed component on probably the hardest board to access in
 the radio, so I
 was really happy with the result, and the cost was very
 modest given the
 time it took to get to the part. That personal attention and
 friendliness of
 the staff is one reason why I've had Ten Tec radios around
 since the
 mid-70's, thanks guys!

 =Vic=
 WA4THR