Re: [TenTec] OT: Working DX on 160m with low dipoles

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Working DX on 160m with low dipoles
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:12:12 -0700
Steve,

Good point. I don't disagree that there are exceptions like this, but for most paths at most times, low angle paths predominate.

If you study the tutorial I referenced, you'll see that a height between a quarter wave and 3/8 wave is near ideal for high angle work. That's 130 - 200 ft on 160. Horizontal antennas suffer increasingly greater ground losses as height is reduced.

73, Jim K9YC