[TenTec] Omni VI Opt. 3 Question

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Opt. 3 Question
From: Michael Marx <sndtubes@vacuumtubes.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:50:26 -0500
Hello To The Group!

I recently picked up a very nice Omni VI Option 3.  It seems to work very well
except for one little quirk.  When in the CW mode with a filter switched in, I
can hear a faint heterodyne which will change with the Passband Tuning control.
 I called TenTec about this and they informed me that there was a “bug” which
caused this.  I found out that if you turn the VOX ON while in the CW mode, the
heterodyne disappears.  I don’t know if it goes away or if it just moves far
enough away I can no longer hear it.  According to TenTec, this is a known
issue which they never fixed.  My question to the group is:  Does anyone
outside of the TenTec factory know what causes this and any possible fixes?  I
guess I can live with it by simply turning the VOX on while in CW (does not
seem to affect QSK).  But I would like to fix it if the solution isn’t too
complicated.

I must say that I own a loaded K3 and often find myself using the Omni VI
instead of the K3.  It’s an awfully nice radio...

73
Mike WB0SND

Michael Marx
sndtubes@vacuumtubes.com