Re: [TenTec] TT 940 Power Supply

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 940 Power Supply
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 14:52:12 -0500
As a follow up to Bob's comment about checking for continuity between safety ground terminal on an outlet and neutral; it is my understanding from current codes, written up in electrical trade magazines discussions; that the neutral is bonded at one place to the safety (green) ground wire, and that is at the breaker box, presumably at the entry to the facility.

Bonding in the UPS box seems counter to this practice, and certainly creates a loop between neutral and safety ground.

Often in practice we have found in our lab facility, multiple loops caused by bonding green safety ground to neutral in multiple boxes that may exist between the service entry and the ultimate site of the powered instrument. It caused bad noise problems such that I finally had a special feed conduit installed that was bonded at its source of power but was insulated on brackets until it reached the lab needing low noise A/D wiring. That finally met our noise spec. There was still continuity from neutral to safety ground, but we controlled where that singular bond was made.

-Stuart
K5KVH