Re: [TenTec] Brand new Omni 7 broke already

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Brand new Omni 7 broke already
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:15:26 -0500
Having found it necessary to replace one of my encoders, I took it on myself to see exactly why the other one failed. There is a rubber or synthetic material ring inside that is used to provide damping and provide a seal to the shaft from the outside world. I found this ring had basically "balled up" or galled in its race around the shaft causing the shaft to bind. Then the mis-alignment of the shaft caused the wiper on the segmented control to also become mis-aligned.

To me this is a quality issue with the manufacture of the control and is one not likely to show up until some time later. Thus just as reported.

Now with all that said, the new encoder has been in the radio for some time and still shows a nice degree of dampening on rotation but no other issues.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: <jackemery@roadrunner.com> To: <demerson@compuserve.com>; "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>