Re: [TenTec] WRTC-18

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WRTC-18
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:28:15 +0200
Steve,

It depends on your antenna.

Years ago our Field Day QRP class allowed 10w.  Seems unlogical, but those
were re the rules.
With 10w and a beam or quad up 30 ft. or more, it will be no problem to work
Germany - unless you're on the west coast.

My club used a Lazy Loop antenna, about 20m (66') per side, fed with
openwire.
The antenna ran exactly north/south,  and east/west.
On the upper bands this gave us strong lobes of the 4 corners - NE for JA,
NW for stateside, and SW for long path to VK.  We would usually work several
stations in each of these areas.
BTW, comparing to a beam or quad at just 30 ft. or less, this antenna was
usually just as strong.
After a couple years we stopped putting up the beam or quad.

Eventually the rules changed, QRP beam just 5w, and only one antenna mast
was allowed.

But as you see, you can work the world with wires with just 10w, as long as
you work the wire right!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)