Re: [TenTec] OT: Holiday SDR Project

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Holiday SDR Project
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:22:05 -0500
I have been studying the merits of the DXE RTR verses the MFJ-1708 some more. I now conclude that the DXE unit offers no more protection than the MFJ unit for this use. The DXE unit has a limiter but the limiter would not be across the receive input of the panadapter radio.

Also both units will not protect anything if the amp key line is not connected.

The best solution is to modify the transceiver for an aux receiver output. Most tentec radios can be easily modified for that.

If you can't modify the transceiver, the next best option is to use the MFJ-1708 with two mods to it. Add a wire from the transceiver SO-239 to the antenna SO-239 as previously stated. Also add two back to back diodes across the receive SO-239 and ground to act as a limiter in case there is a failure of some type. For diodes, Radio Shack 276-1661 should be fine.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com